Preventing Black Mold In Your Kids Toys

December 28th, 2014by admin


rubber duckieParents work hard to ensure that the toys they buy their babies and toddlers are safe. They make sure there are not parts too small for the child to swallow. They make sure that there are not sharp points on the toys. However, fewer parents consider the possibility that the toys they buy could become dangerous after the toys have already been in the home for a period of time. It is possible for your child’s toys to become harbingers of black mold if left unchecked.

Black mold can have devastating effects on one’s home, but it has more immediate and detrimental effects on a person’s health. The negative health effects are made even worse for a young child. Black mold can cause numerous health problems from coughing, lung infections, and even SIDS.

Black mold is often found in things like wet laundry that has been left out for too long, on the walls of homes with excessive water damage, and water logged furniture. Mold prefers to grow in a dark, warm, and humid environment. In other words, moisture is mold’s best friend.

If you have a baby that drools a lot or is teething, they are introducing moisture to their teething ring and toys any time that they teeth on them. That moisture helps to create a veritable breeding ground for mold. If there is one toy that attracts black mold more than any other toy out there is the one that sits with your child in their bath water: the rubber ducky.

Rubber duckies are notorious for being invisible mold magnets. This may come as a shock to some but it is not too surprising when one considers that rubber duckies are designed to take in water. When they take in warm bath water and have that water squeezed out, it almost never takes out the entirety of the moisture. That moisture creates the perfect conditions for mold to grow.

It may be unnerving to think that the toys you bought your child could prove to be dangerous. However, it is relatively easy to ensure that the toys remain safe. If you want to be positive that your child’s toys are safe for play time and bath time then it is time to go in damage control mode. Here are the things you can do to not only get rid of, but prevent black mold.

There are a few very efficient ways to clean black mold. One of the first things you need to do is find a way to sterilize the toys. One of the most popular methods is to boil the toys. You can do this is simple water. Another method is to run the toys through your dishwasher. Bleach can also be utilized as it will kill off the germs. Just remember that the drying process is very important so that the mold does not come back.

If you want to prevent mold altogether then the process is much simpler, though it may seem somewhat tedious. The first thing you want to do is take some hot glue and block the air holes in the rubber bath toys. This will prevent any moisture from making its way into the toy. It is also a good idea to make cleaning the toys a regular chore.

In addition to this, make sure that the toys your child uses during bath time are stored in an area that allows them to air out properly. A mesh bag is a very popular item that is used to let toys air dry after bath time so that may be a worthwhile investment for you. Hermetically sealed bath toys are also becoming quite popular. You want to store the toys in a place that is well ventilated, with lots of air circulating throughout. This will prevent further mold from forming in the toys.

You have less to worry about when it comes to toys that your child plays with outside of bath time. For toys that receive heavy drool, especially plastic books or toys with lots of crevices for drool to seep into, a simple wipe down with a sanitation wipe will be sufficient to get the toy clean before mold can develop. Just remember to keep the toys cleaned on a fairly regular basis.

If it seems as though the mold cannot be cleaned or if it is a bit too difficult to finish the cleaning process then you are better off simply replacing the toy altogether. This will allow you to properly maintain the toy from the get-go and keep you from running the risk of allowing your child to play with a toy that you thought was clean but was really still plagued with mold.

 

Photo: flic.kr/p/241jMV




Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

CommentLuv badge